Questions are asked all the time and this varies between individuals or group of people and the topic of interest at that point in time. Questions may spring up from anywhere; could be while surfing the internet, during physical meetings, in the place of learning, whilst reading articles/essays, during debates and discourse and so on.
As we all know, all questions require an answer or answers as the case may be, with the exception of the rhetorical question though. Everyone questions and everyone gives replies but then, most questions these days are not properly answered. The way a question is presented determines, oftentimes, how the answer would be given. This article will take into consideration the necessary and effective approach of asking questions and getting the right response.
Now, allow me to cite an example of a situation I found myself in a week back- that is what actually brought about this article. I happened to find myself in a community of online people whom I share like minds and belief with, at least that's what I thought. A good friend introduced me to the group and at first, it was cool. I mingled with them and sometimes took part in the group's activities however, as time went on and weeks flew past, I realized I did not really fit in amongst those people. I analyzed my recent participation in the group and it was nothing to write home about. I rated myself poor both in performance and active participation. I then admitted to myself that, it wouldn't be good for me to remain a member 'in figure' and so, I left. Then almost immediately, an acquaintance of mine- in the group texted me and asked for my reason for leaving the group. I came plain to him and though, he tried convincing me on why I should leave the group, he couldn't answer my question which was "Why does the community's vision differs from the activities carried out?" At that point, I still felt a connection to the group but I needed a strong conviction. He wasn't able to convince me. The answers he gave, was not what I needed.
One time or the other, you might have been in that situation either as the person with the question that needs an answer or the person being questioned. Were you satisfied with the answer you received? Did you leave the question well answered or barely responded to? Below are tips to help you properly ask a question and receive the right answer(s)
- Be selective in choosing who you direct your questions to: Any question directed at the wrong person/source will generate the wrong response. So before you ask that person about a relationship question, ensure he/she has a vast knowledge about it. That way, you will not end up disappointed.
- Pick the right tone when asking questions: If you are raising your question during physical or virtual medium where your voice can be heard, see to it that the pitch of your voice is not loud or low to that extent that it might irritate the person you wanted to direct your question to.
- Ask an open-minded question: Do not ask a question that requires a ‘yes or no' answer. Rather, ask questions that lead to insights and may end up getting information you might not have known existed. Allow your questions to be one that leaves the person thinking and giving more thoughts.
- Use follow-up questions in case you’re not satisfied.
- Don’t interrupt the speaker even when you feel the question is not being answered like you want. Wait for a natural pause before talking.
Having considered some effective ways to ask a question, the next concern is how to crucially respond to questions with the intent of leaving the asker satisfied.
- Understand the question: Do not attempt a question you do not understand. Doing that, you will end up giving a downright wrong information.
- Take time to respond: Be slow to respond and while at it, think well about the question. Weigh the options. This provides the chance of understanding the question.
- Watch your tone: As earlier stated, be mindful of your tone. Choose the right one so as not to set off the asker.
- Offer proficient replies to keep the asker at ease.
So the next time you want to ask or answer the question(s), be sure to put these into the application. You are off to brewing a good relationship when you ask or answer questions adequately.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment